For determination of water absorption of bricks
IS : 3495 (Part-2)-1992,RA 2011
Equipment & Apparatus
- Balance (0-10 kg)
- The specimen is dried in a ventilated oven at a temperature of 105 to 1150C; till it attains substantially constant mass. The specimen is cooled to room temperature and its weight is recorded (M1)
- The dried specimen is immersed completely in clean water at a room temperature of 27±20C for 24 hours.
- The specimen is then removed and any traces of water are wiped out with a damp cloth and the specimen is weighed. The weighing is completed 3min after the specimen has removed from water(M2)
Water absorption, percent by mass after 24 hours immersion in cold water is given by the following formula
The water absorption of brick shall be reported to the nearest one percent.
Safety & Precautions
- Use hand gloves while removing containers from oven after switching off the oven.
- Thoroughly clean & dry the container before testing.
- Special care should be taken that no outer air enters when using the balance.
- To wear safety shoes & apron at the time of test.