For determination of the moisture content of soil by oven drying method.
Equipment’s & Accessories
- Oven (1050C to 1100C min.)
- Metal container
- Balance (0.01 g accuracy)
- The number of the container is recorded, cleaned, dried and weighed.(W1)
- About 15-30 g of soil is placed in the container and the weight of soil with the sample is recorded.(W2)
- The can with the soil is placed in oven for 24hours maintained at a temperature 1050 to 1100C.
- After drying the container is removed from the oven and allowed to cool at room temperature.
- After cooling the soil with container is weighed.(W3)
W1=Mass of container, g
W2=Mass of container and wet soil, g
W3=Mass of container and dry soil, g
The water content of the soil is reported to two significant figures.
Safety & Precautions
- Use hand gloves while removing containers from oven after switching off.
- The soil should be loosely placed in the bin, so as to allow easy evaporation of moisture
- Over heating should be avoided.
- Oven dry soil should not be kept open to the atmosphere (for cooling) as it may absorb moisture from atmosphere
- Ensure the identification number on the base and the lid of the bin is same