Following are the properties of a good mortar:
Properties of Good Mortar
- It should be capable of developing good adhesion with the building units such as bricks, stones etc.
- It should be capable of developing the designed stresses.
- It should be capable of resisting penetration of rain water.
- It should be cheap.
- It should be durable
- It should be easily workable
- It should not affect the durability of materials with which it comes into contact.
- It should set quickly so that speed in construction may be achieved.
- The joints formed by mortar should not develop cracks and they should be able to maintain their appearance for a sufficiently long period.