WHAT TO CHECK WHILE CASTING SLABS?
Checking of Concrete Slabs
- Ensure that the position of the cover blocks is intact and not disturbed during concreting operations.
- In case concrete is made at the site, closely supervise proper batching of ingredients, the water content, and the mixing and testing of fresh concrete.
- Make sure the beams are first cast in layers and properly compacted with vibrators.
- Ensure that a carpenter and helper are present below slab shuttering to ensure that the props and supports are not disturbed and that the shuttering remains intact during and after concreting.
- Ensure that one bar bender is present, so that displacement of steel reinforcement does not take place.
- Do not allow a very smooth finish to your concrete slabs.
- Do not allow dry cement to be sprinkled during finishing. This will help you avoid micro shrinkage cracks.
- Place chairs firmly and properly, so that the top reinforcement bars (for negative movement) are not disturbed during concreting.
- Avoid formation of cold joints in the slab.
- If you are concreting in the summer, cover your freshly cast slab with moist gunny bags for 4 to 5 hours after casting.
- If it is rainy, windy, or very hot, cover the slab with tarpaulin to protect it from getting damaged.
- To avoid plastic shrinkage cracks, do not allow drastic drying of green concrete.
- Closely supervise the compaction and finishing process of concrete.