IS-13030-1991- Method of test for laboratory determination of water content, porosity, density and related properties of rock material.
Determination of mass of water contained in a rock sample.
|Name of equipment
||As per requirement
||0.01% of the sample
- Clean the container and lid, dry it and determine the mass M1.
- Place the rock sample in the container. Weigh the container with sample and record it as M2.
- Remove the lid and place the container with the sample in the oven. Allow it to dry till it attains a constant mass.
- After complete drying of sample, remove it from oven, replace the lids and allow it to cool in a desiccators for 30 minutes.
- Weigh the oven dried sample with container and lid and record the weight as M3.
Water content is calculated using the following formula.
Water content, w = (Pore water mass, Mw/Grain mass, Ms)*100
Where, M1 = Mass in ‘g’ of the container and lid
M2 = Mass in ‘g’ of the container + lid + sample
M3 = Mass in ‘g’ of the container + lid + oven dried sample
Water content is reported to the nearest 0.1%.