The brick is superior to the stonework in the following respects:
- At places where stones are not easily available but where there is plenty of clay, the brickwork becomes cheaper than stonework.
- The cost of construction works out to be less in case of brickwork than stone work as less skilled labour is required in the construction of brickwork.
- No complicated lifting devices are necessary to carry bricks as they can be easily moved by manual labour.
- The bricks resist fire better than stones and hence, in case of a fire, they do not easily disintegrate.
- The brick of good quality resist the various atmospheric effects in a better way than the stones.
- In case of brickwork, the mortar joints are thin and hence the structure becomes more durables.
- It is easy to construct connections and openings in case of brickwork than stonework.
- As it is light in weight, it can be used in cantilever walls.
- Due to its modular shape and size more space can be saved.