IS-3952-1988-Specification for the burnt clay hollow bricks used for walls and partition
To determine the water absorption of burnt clay hollow bricks used for walls and partitions.
||Sensitive to 0.1% of mass of specimen
||110 to 1150C
- Dry the specimen in an oven maintained at a temperature of 1100C to 1150C, until it attains a constant mass.
- After brick dried completely, remove it from oven and cool it to room temperature.
- Weigh the brick and record its weight as W1.
- After weighing the brick immerse it in water completely for a period of 24 hours.
- After 24 hours of immersion, remove the specimen from water, wipe off the surface water using a damp cloth.
- Weigh the wet brick and record its weight as W2. Weighing of the brick must be completely within 3 minutes after removing the brick from water.
Calculate the percentage of water absorption using the following formula.
Water Absorption = [(W2-W1)/W1]*100
W2 = Weight of soaked brick
W1 = Weight of dry brick
The average value of 6 specimens is calculated and reported as the water absorption of the lot.