Determination of Fineness of Building Lime by Dry sieving.
IS: 6932(Part IV)-1973-(Methods of tests for Building Lime (Determination of Fineness of Hydrated Lime)
Equipment & Apparatus
Test sample is dried in oven for a period of four hours at a temperature of 1000to 1100C.
- Sieves specified in the material specification is superimposed, one above other with coarser sieves at the top and finer sieves at bottom.
- Sieving is done by holding the sieves in both hands with a gentle wrist motion.
- 100 gm of the hydrated lime is placed on the top sieve and the material is washed through the sieves with a moderate jet of water not more than 30 minutes.
- The residue on each sieve is dried at 100±100C to constant mass and weighed.
The percent retained (%), Cumulative retained (%) & percent finer (%) is calculated.
Percent retained = Weight of retained sample in each sieve / Total weight of sample
The cumulative percent retained is calculated by adding percent retained on each sieve as a cumulative procedure.
The percent finer is calculated by subtracting the cumulative percent retained from 100 percent.
The results shall be expressed as a percentage of mass of the hydrated lime taken.
Safety & Precaution
- Use hand gloves while removing containers from oven after switching off the oven.
- After test the sieves should be cleaned by soft brush.
- Equipment should be cleaned thoroughly before testing & after testing.
- To wear safety shoes & apron during the test time.