For determination of moisture content of timber.
IS : 1708 (Part 1)-1986
Equipment & Apparatus
- Balance(0-10 kg)
- Oven (3000c)
Preparation of sample:
The dimension of sample to be tested is 2.5 cm in length and 2 x 2 cm or 5 x 5 cm in cross-section.
- The sample is weighed (W1) with accuracy of 0.001g in a weighing balance and then dried in a well ventilated oven at temperature of 103±20C.
- The weight (W2) is recorded at regular intervals. The drying is considered to be complete when variation between last two readings does not exceed 0.002 g. The final weight is taken as oven dry weight.
The loss in weight expressed as a percentage of the oven dry weight, is taken as the moisture content of the specimen.
W1= Weight of sample at test in g,and
W0= Oven dry weight of sample in g
The moisture content of the soil is reported to two significant figures.
Safety & Precautions
- Use hand gloves while removing containers from oven after switching off the oven.
- To check electric supply
- Thoroughly cleaned & dried the container before testing.
- Special care should be taken that no outer air enters when using the balance.
- Use safety shoes & aprons at the time of test.