For determination of specific gravity of timber.
IS : 1708 (Part 2)-1986
Equipment & Apparatus
Preparation of sample
The dimension of sample to be tested is 6 cm in length and 2 x 2 cm in cross-section or 15 cm in length and 5 x 5 cm in cross-section.
- The sample is weighed (W1) with accuracy of 0.001g in a weighing balance.
- The dimension of the specimen is measured correct to 0.01 cm and volume is calculated by multiplying all the three dimensions (V1).
Specific gravity is calculated as given below.
W1 = Weight in g of test specimen
V1 = Volume in cm3 of test specimen, and
m = % age moisture content of the test specimen
The Sp.gravity of timber is reported to three significant figures
Safety & Precautions
- Thoroughly cleaned & dried the container before testing.
- Special care should be taken that no outer air enters when using the balance.
- Use hand gloves, apron & safety shoes at the time of testing.